FRASER, James H. The Paste Papers of the Golden Hind Press.
Florham, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Library and The Tideline Press, 1983. Tall octavo (12.5" x 6.5"). 40 pp. Plum paper-covered boards over cream-colored linen spine with a brown title card with gilt lettering. Printed from hand set type on dampened, handmade Fabriano Pace paper. Tipped in examples throughout of 1930s paste papers used by the Golden Hind Press for decorative bindings. The Pace paper and cover paper are also former stock of the Golden Hind Press, which closed in 1955.
Limited Edition, signed by paper artist Delight Lewis and numbered 55 of 70 copies on limitation page at back. Single page prospectus laid in at front, in clean, crisp condition. The eighteen tipped in paste paper samples are all present, and are clean, and crisp. Acetate jacket shows a tear across the width of the book from spine down to bottom front corner, along with a small chip at top corner at fold. Book itself is clean and square with just some light edgewear and a bit of toning near top edge of boards. Binding is sound and pages are unmarked. Correspondence between a local bookseller and the curator and director of the Fairleight Dickinson University Library laid in.
Founded in 1927 by Harper and Brothers typesetter and printer Arthur W. Rushmore and run primarily with his wife, Edna, and two daughters, Delight and Elaine, The Golden Hind Press printed over two hundred books, broadsides, and leaflets until its closing with Arthur Rushmore's death in 1955. The paste papers highlighted in this volume were designed by Delight Rushmore Lewis after studying samples brought back from Arthur's 1929 trip to England, France, and Germany.